Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gifts to Give or Receive

Now that we’re in December my mind is on gift giving. So I thought I would list some favs that I giving (not much, but what the hay). A bit of a disclaimer here, my family has a long tradition of giving several gifts for the holidays, the majority of which are cheap (I’m talking quality here). When it comes to gift giving, I try to get good deals, but because there is only my daughter, mom and sister (and her fiancé) I tend to buy fewer gifts of higher quality. And with my mom, I particularly get her items that are more indulgent because for years she has lived on an income well below this country’s poverty level, had sacrificed so much for my sister and myself, and is very reticent to splurge on herself.


Photo courtesy of HearthSong

For my daughter this year it’s dollhouse furniture. A couple years ago I splurged and got her a proper doll house from HearthSong catalogue. Luckily she still plays with it. This year she has asked for more furniture, apparently the children are tired of sleeping on the floor. So I ordered her furniture for the children’s bedroom as well as the kitchen. I like HearthSong products because they are generally well-crafted, imaginative and educational.


Photo courtesy of campmor.com

This item is for my mother, sister, and myself. We all LOVE these wool socks by Columbia. So toasty warm during the cold months we endure here in the Great Lakes region. These are becoming harder and harder for me to find and I fear one day I’m going to have to find a replacement.


~Satine~ Inspired by Moulin Rouge. Photo courtesy of a la Parisienne

This is for my mother who loves jewelry, particularly pins and brooches. I must thank Stephanie at Bonjour Madame for letting me in on this little secret. Ok, it’s not a secret, but it was news to me. Mandy at a la Parisienne has an etsy shop where she is making and selling the most lovely flower brooches. She even has created a couple designs based on couture collections. The photo is of the one I purchased for my mom. I’m anxiously awaiting its arrival as I hear from Stephanie it is even more gorgeous in person than it is on the webpage.


Photo courtesy of Athleta

I confess, I was originally looking at these winter pants for myself. I spend a good amount of time walking my dog and decided it’s high time I get something warm for the frosty weather, especially for 6am and 9pm walks. I found these pants at Athleta's website. Based on the reviews, I ordered two pairs in different sizes. It turns out the smaller of the two fit me perfectly, so rather than return the second pair, I’m planning to give them to my mother who, like me, is chronically cold, even during the warmer months.


Photo courtesy of love, taza

Now for a dreamy unrequited item. Check out these headbands by Naomi at love, taza. They are spectacular.

What are your favorite gifts to give? What would you like to receive? Do tell!

3 comments:

  1. You are going to LOVE that brooch! It really is pretty and it's original too. Great gift ideas you have. I'm going to cruise etsy for the remainder of some of my gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped giving gifts to family a while ago - we all have everything we could possibly need - so I give to charities. The exception are my nieces and I love shopping for books for them, trying to find ones that send just the right message, the ones that each girl will like for her own unique character - that is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, Etsy is a dangerous place for me. Very, very tempting!

    Andi, That is wonderful! I've tried to do something similar with my family some years back. The idea went over like a lead balloon. I don't know why, but they have a real investment in gift giving and just can't make the leap.

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy reading your sweet comments.